The Flyers Rights organization maintains a web site www.flyersrights.org where a variety of articles are posted. A good description of the organization can be found on their “About” page: http://flyersrights.org/about-us/.
The web site is somewhat unwieldy due to the main organization being by month, with no index provided by topic. Also, as of this writing, the search box doesn’t work. I’ve offered to help them as an editor, but in the meantime, I have created below a chronological index and recap of many of the Flyers Rights articles on airline seating size issues.
Space Invaders (http://flyersrights.org/seat-space/space-invaders/) 9/28/2017
- Report on news from Aircraft Interior trade show on newly showcased seats below 18” width and 28” pitch for economy class.
- Concern is expressed on safety during evacuations and the lack of live evacuation testing.
- The irresponsibility of the airlines, the FAA, the seat manufacturers, and EASA is noted.
NPR Discusses the Ramifications of FlyersRights.org’s Seat Case (http://flyersrights.org/uncategorized/npr-discusses-ramifications-flyersrights-orgs-seat-case/) 9/26/2017
- Links to discussion and article.
Cracking Some Heads (http://flyersrights.org/airlines/cracking-some-heads/) 9/21/2017
- Recaps Daily Beast report on crash test dummy test failures with economy class seats.
- Daily Beast report: https://www.thedailybeast.com/flying-coach-is-so-cramped-it-could-be-a-death-trap
Is It Time For Airline Seat Standards? (http://flyersrights.org/newsletter/is-it-time-for-airline-seat-standards/) 10/9/2014
- Call to action on airline seat standards.
Squeeze Play US Airlines Installing Thinner Seats To Cram More On Board (http://flyersrights.org/newsletter/107/) 10/22/2013
- Discussion of “slimline” seats.
- Potential correlation with DVT
- Q & A
Just Plane Packed – JetBlue herds more into planes with thinner seats and less legroom (http://flyersrights.org/newsletter/117/) 8/13/2013
- “The FAA hgas zero minimum standards for legroom [in non-emergency rows]”
- The relationship of immobility and DVT.
- JetBlue announcement of tigher seats.
- Using seatguru.com to check seat pitch.
Freshly Squeezed – Passenger complaints rise as seats get smaller More flights overbookeda (http://flyersrights.org/newsletter/127/) 6/4/2013
- News about airlines packing in more seats at the expense of comfort.
If The Seat Fits… Squeeze Into It! Airline Complaints Shot up 20 % Last Year as Planes Got EvenMore Cramped (http://flyersrights.org/newsletter/140/) 4/10/2013
- Consumer complaints surged 20% and FlyersRights.org attributes this to smaller seats and more packed flights and overbooking.
- Samoa Air says it will charge passengers by weight.
Seat Pitch-the Next Battleground? (http://flyersrights.org/newsletter/229/) 10/4/2010